Reliant Central
Please Log in to continue
Reliant Central
Please Log in to continue
Reliant Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for owners and lovers of all things Reliant

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Floydy

Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 Empty
PostSubject: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 7:46 am

Hi

Is there an alternative front brake drum for the Robin Mk3?
It appears the part for the 12" wheeled Robin is scarce as is also the case with the Fox

Back to top Go down
Floydy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:13 am

Replaced the brake shoes today and noticed also that one of the wheel cylinders is leaking (wasn't entirely sure) and that the red coloured brake springs were too long to be effective.

I put it all together and went for a drive. At close to 40 miles an hour there is a terrible steering wheel wobble / vibration and noise from the front.

From this I conclude that the the front brake drum is warped / out of round as well as the other issue with the wheel cylinder and brake return spring.

Vehicle is totally unroadworthy and I have discovered that the drum for a 12" wheel is 'unobtanium' and cannot be skimmed so I am kind of stuck.
Back to top Go down
Emma K

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 am

I hate to suggest this but did you put the larger hole in the brake drum over the stud with the raised boss? I did it wrong on my Mk 1 once...
Back to top Go down
Floydy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 am

Not sure, thanks for that, will check it out tomorrow ~ was not aware of this...
Back to top Go down
mechanicalhorse

mechanicalhorse

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 6:00 pm

If you're getting a vibration whilst just driving (and not under braking) it sounds more like something is out of balance (the wheel itself?). Is there an intermittent rubbing sound, or does the brake tend to 'grab' when you rotate the wheel by hand? - if not then it wouldn't seem to be out of round.

Why can't the drum be skimmed - is it to the maximum size already? If so, they can sometimes be repaired by skimming to a bigger size and then inserting a liner (in effect, a piece of thin wall tube) and then skimming to the correct size - I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap though.
Back to top Go down
Floydy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Emma K wrote:
I hate to suggest this but did you put the larger hole in the brake drum over the stud with the raised boss? I did it wrong on my Mk 1 once...

Having looked at the drum, looks likely that is what I have done...
Back to top Go down
Floydy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Had a bit of luck, whilst having my Bug engined rebuilt by Dinky Cars, I was able to acquire a brand new front brake drum for the reasonable price of £48. Will need to replace a wheel cylinder and the brake return springs but hopefully the Robin will be back on the road by the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Floydy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 5:34 am

New drum fitted (right way on) along with wheel cylinders, return springs and shoes. Took less than an hour to do the whole lot. Thanks for the replies...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3   Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Front brake drum for Robin Mk 3
Page 1 of 1