Reliant Central
Please Log in to continue
Reliant Central
Please Log in to continue
Reliant Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for owners and lovers of all things Reliant

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
phade

phade

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 am

Daniel Rodd posted on 21st June 2011

better see it at the southern area rally(my cars twin lol) and no excuses like "i cant come because the interior mirror has a scratch on it" or "i wont be able to make it because the reliant sticker has faded" lol lol Very Happy

Last edited by phade on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:02 am

21st June 2011

Daniel Rodd wrote:

better see it at the southern area rally(my cars twin lol) and no excuses like "i cant come because the interior mirror has a scratch on it" or "i wont be able to make it because the reliant sticker has faded" lol lol Very Happy

My Rialto 2 Estate will be at the rally:D

That reminds me, I need to pack some clothes, air bed and 2 man tent.

Last edited by phade on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 am

Azzy posted on 21st June 2011

Good to hear Blap will be there, will have to get some pictures for previous owner Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am

27th June 2011

A bit more work I decided to do on my Rialto 2 Estate this afternoon/tonight

Hi everyone,

I did a little bit more work (actually it took about 5 hours after sorting out the messy wiring) on my Rialto 2 estate today, which was to replace the window winders, speakers and stereo.

Anyway, I'll let the pics do the talking on what I found......

Speakers original locations (one of them was damaged and they were not matched either). There was a lot of excess wire hidden underneath the carpet too.

Driver's side:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0325

Passenger's side:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0326

New 4 inch pod speakers installed (I did take a fair amount of time to make sure that no wires were visible).

Driver's side:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0327

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0329

Passenger's side:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0328

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0330

How it's old radio was wired, chock block city I'm very suprised that the wiring didn't catch fire and burn the car down That took forever to rewire it neatly, it was dangerous to say the least.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0332

I also found a plastic bag above the stereo it's self. I decided to rip that out:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0331

New radio wiring in place (looks a lot neater).

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0333

It has now got a constant live +12V feed (from an unfused terminal of the fuse box), which was not wired to the old radio (eg. they were both bodged together to the radio terminal of the ignition switch). At least I can now use a car radio that doesn't loose it's radio presets nor goes back to track 1 every time I switch off the ignition. Smile

The ground wire for the radio was inadequate to say the least (1.5mm wire is not suitable for powering car radios) and has been replaced with 2.5mm (8A) wire.

The ignition live feed's (from the radio terminal ignition switch) wire was also inadequate and has been replaced with a 4mm (17A) wire.

Shame about the hacked about antenna plug Sad I have managed to make it work reliably for now.

New radio installed (about 20 past midnight):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0334

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0335
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 am

27th June 2011

Broken down - overheated ;(

Just to let you all know that my Rialto 2 estate decided to overheat without warning whilst stationary on the M25 It decided to stall and as soon as I heard slight knocking under load, I pulled over to the hard shoulder and stopped the engine

I'm very unhappy to say the least. ;(

RAC just turned up and insisted that I drove the car a short distance, thankfully no knocking. (1 hour later) but they agreed to sending out a recovery truck. I just hope that there was no engine damage. Another 1 to 2 hour wait on the hard shoulder of the m25

Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 am

16th July 2011

A few updates on my Rialto 2 Estate since it broke down...

The day my Rialto 2 Estate broke down Sad

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 2011-06-27103833

The first thing I did was to have a look at the general condition of the engine/cooling system its self.

Coolant drain plug (this looks like it hasn't been off for a while):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0336

When I flushed out the cylinder block (in both directions), a lot of limescale and some rust came out of the coolant drain hole.

Radiator cap (with some deposits on it):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0338

Inside the old radiator's filler (looks like it was filled up with water from a river or stream at some point) Sad

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0339

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0342

Water pump to radiator outlet (I think this was due to the old radiator's bottom hose being rather old):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0344

Thankfully the water pump its self appeared to be clear.

Heat exchanger (one of it's internal pipes appears to have been soldered at some point, but it looks like that it's not leaking):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0346

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0347
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 am

16th July 2011

Thermostat and thermostat housing removed (the thermostat works correctly):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0349

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0350

Old radiator removed. It was leaking on the rear lower N/S of it's matrix, next to the lower radiator hose outlet and I also suspect that it became blocked with Radweld

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0351

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0352

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0353

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0354

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0355

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0356

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0357

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0358
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:39 am

16th July 2011

Comparison between the toothed fan belt and an NOS genuine Reliant fan belt

Old toothed fan belt removed:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0359

NOS Reliant fan belt:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0360

Differences between the two:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0362

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0363

Old fan belt removed (with the old fan in place):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0364

NOS fan belt and new fan fitted:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0365

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0366
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am

16th July 2011

Recored radiator and new radiator cap (from chgperformance) fitted:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0367

Heat exchanger refitted and cooling system filled with 50% blue glycol (antifreeze) and 50% distilled water. NOS top radiator hose and new bottom radiator hose fitted:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0368

The old lower radiator hose was bowed at the top end of it (eg. not sealing properly) and the top radiator hose appeared to be bodged with more of that green gasket goo muck. Sad The radiator hose clips were also replaced with Mikalor stainless 25mm-40mm hose clips.
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 am

16th July 2011

Finally, I changed the engine's oil and oil filter today. The oil that was in it smelt like it was cooked and the filter that was fitted on it was incorrect (it was too small for the engine).

I took it for a 12 mile test drive earlier tonight and it no longer has any overheating problems (in fact the temperature gauge struggles to get towards half way) and it also seems like that there is no engine damage either. Very Happy

I'll be driving it to the Uxbridge car show tomorrow and hopefully it will get there without any problems at all. Smile
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 am

17th July 2011

A quick update on my Rialto 2

Hi everyone,

I drove my Rialto 2 to the Uxbridge Car Show today and have had no problems with it Smile . The temperature gauge just about managed to get towards half way in a traffic jam.

I still need to check to see how much oil/coolant it has used (I guess that no oil nor coolant was used) and there are a few things I still plan to sort out, eg:-

- Replace the rest of the fuel hoses (in an attempt to sort out the hunting at idle speed/occasional stalling problem once and for all).

- Check the ignition timing with my strobed timing light

- Check the front wheel bearings' tightness and repack them with grease.

Apart from that, it's pretty much ready for use as an every day car. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 am

23rd July 2011

Some more work I did on my Rialto 2 estate during the past couple of days...

Replaced overflow hose to T-piece. The "T-piece" was a 5/16" Y piece, where the old SAE J30 R7 1/4" fuel hose was rammed onto it Sad

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0485

Overflow fuel hoses secured by a hoses clamp and a wood screw. I plan to find a better means of securing those fuel hoses at some point.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0487

Old SAE J30 R7 fuel hose (along with it's useless fuel hose clips) fit for the bin.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0488

New Codan 5.6mm SAE J30 R9 overflow fuel hoses connected to the correct 8mm to 6mm T-piece.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0490

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0491

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0492

New overflow fuel hoses (different views).

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0493

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0495

Fuel pump fuel hoses replaced.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0496

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0497

Front radiator grille sticker replaced.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0498

Jobs still to do:

- Replace all rear fuel hoses (they don't feel great, but they are not perished nor leaking)

- Adjust front wheel bearing (I seem to have lost a couple of front wheel bearing split pins I had)
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 am

3rd August 2011

A small amount of work I did today....

I managed to get a bit of (essential) work to my Rialto 2 estate today, which were the following:-

- Repack the front wheel bearing with grease and re-tighten the front wheel bearing (I may need to replace the front wheel bearing to hub seal at some point).

- Grease the kingpin.

Anyway, here are a few photos of what I had found (and I'm very glad that I did find them before a major accident occurred !):-

Front tyre dangerously perished:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0499

Front brake assembly (everything looks ok here):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0500

Bottom of kingpin (looks ok):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0501

Top of kingpin with some sealer shoved on top of it at some point in the past (should that stuff ever be there ?!?):-

(I found out later on that it's to keep the grease away from the brakes)

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0502
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am

4th August 2011

Yet another breakdown - burnt out earth wires Sad

I'd hope that I wouldn't have to revisit the hard shoulder again Sad

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 2011-08-04100209

My Rialto 2 decided to half cut out and produce a lot of grey smoke from within the car, so I immediately switched off the engine, pulled into the hard shoulder, stopped as fast as possible and got out !! Sad I opened up the engine lid and found nothing untoward around there at all, so I called the RAC.

The RAC patrol man turned up to have a look (he agreed before he arrived that it would be too dangerous to fix by the roadside and called for a recovery truck). We both found these burnt out earth wires (that were not connected to anything) near the ignition switch.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 2011-08-04105137

Car winched onto the recovery truck with the battery disconnected.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 2011-08-04111941

When the I got back home, the recovery truck driver and I pushed the car off the truck and got it into the driveway. I'll be having a more thorough look at it tomorrow and during the weekend. It looks like that I may have to miss the Lingfield show this weekend. Sad
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:06 am

5th August 2011

I had a fairly quick look at the wiring on my Rialto 2 estate...

Hi everyone, I spent about an hour this morning having a look at the wires to see what damage has been done.

Engine bay (no damage here):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0503

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0504

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0505

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0508

Burnt out earth wires (the three loose earth wires have now been cut off):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0510

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0511

Slightly burnt windscreen wiper wire when (I think) one of the loose earth wires' spade terminal had chaffed against it Sad :-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0514

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0515

Unused green/purple wire (part of a wiring loom) hanging down and loose. Sad This will have to be covered in heatshrink rather than plastic tape:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0517

More unused loose wires (covered in plastic tape) Sad :-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0518

I think one of these crimp connectors may have caused the eletrical burnout:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0519

Another unused earth wire cut off:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0520

Engine earth connected incorrectly It's connected to the chassis instead of the engine (I later connected that earth strap to the chassis and the timing chain cover). I'll be correcting that (as well as other things) tomorrow:-

This is how the engine earth is connected on my Rialto SE hatch:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0522
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:10 am

6th August 2011

Some work I did to the wiring today...

Badly crimped indicator earth wire removed:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0523

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0524

That incorrect wire colour was replaced with the (correct colour) intact earth wire that I cut off yesterday morning.

I then decided to use self-amalgamating tape to provide extra protection for the wiring looms to ensure that they don't chaff against the sharp dashboard support bracket next to the steering column. I have also insulated the slightly burnt out (approx 2mm in length) windscreen wiper wire with self-amalgamating tape.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0525

Dangling wires tie-wrapped out of the way.

Bare brass spade terminal (on the ignition switch) insulated with self-amalgamating tape.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0527

I then checked the engine and gearbox earths (as wheaters had suggested earlier - I cannot remember which thread). The engine earth looks in good condition and secure, but the same could not be said for the gearbox's earth. The gearbox earth cable is secure, but it has also started to fray.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0528

After I had checked those two main earths, I decided to re-connect the negative battery terminal, start up the car and check all of it's electrics (whilst keeping an eye on the car's wiring looms). Thankfully, all of the electrics worked and there was no signs of overheating nor smoke either. Smile

After having a look at the pics of the back of the gearbox, it may also be time to replace the rear gearbox oil seal as well.
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 am

11th August 2011

A bit more work I did on my Rialto today - engine earth and alternator wiring

Hi everyone,

I've managed to do a bit more work today and here are some pics...

New 225mm insulated earth strap (from Vehicle Wiring Problems) fitted to the timing chain cover and chassis:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0001

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0002-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0003-1

Alternator wiring made safe (and it's plug is now securely attached to the alternator).

Here is what was badly bodged with electrical tape Sad The spade terminals were loose within the plug's housing. The plug's rear cover and spring clip were also missing Sad :-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0004-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0005-1

The spade terminals' locking tabs have now been bent outwards with a flat-blade jeweler's screwdriver so that they will lock into the plug's housing.

New plug cover. Notice the modification that I had to make to it (with a pair of side-cutters) so that it will accommodate the wires on the Reliant 3 wheeler's alternator plug housing. The alternator plug housing on a Reliant 3 wheeler appears to be backwards compared to the standard Lucas 3 pin alternator plug:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0006-1

Alternator wires protected with self-amalgamating tape:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0008-1

Alternator reconnected:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0009
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 am

29th August 2011

A small amount of work I did to my Rialto 2 yestday and today

Hi everyone,

Only a minor update on my Rialto, where I did the following:-

- Set tappets correctly (they were almost right anyway)
- Replaced rocker cover gasket (the old one was well past it)
- Changed gearbox oil
- Greased propshaft

Anyway, here are a few pics of what I found.....

Dashpot oil leak from the carburetter's main jet ? I plan to replace the main jet at some point this week.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0300-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0301-1

Rocker cover removed. Nice to see that the oil's still clear and nothing has been damaged. Smile

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0302-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0303-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0304-1

Rocker cover with the very old gasket on it. The old gasket was practically flush with the rocker cover its self and it was clearly leaking a small amount of oil past it.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0305

Rocker cover (I may repaint it at some point and remove the nasty looking silver paint from it).

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0306

Rocker cover cleaned up a bit.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0307

New rocker cover gasket in place.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0308

The new rocker cover gasket looks far better than the old one.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0310

I then decided to change the gearbox oil, where it's old fibre washers appear to have been used a few times. The gearbox's filler plug was also quite loose and took nearly no effort to remove it with my small 3/8" torque wrench.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0311

The rather nasty watery looking gearbox oil (with a few lumps in it) that came out of the gearbox.

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0313
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 am

4th September 2011

Main jet assembly replaced (yesterday)

Hi everyone,

I tried to stop my Rialto 2's stalling uneven idle speed problems by replacing it's carburetter's main jet. When I had a further look at it yesterday there was a minor leak from it's carburetter bowl to main jet union and on it's variable jet part of the assembly its self. I decided to replace the main jet and here's what I found:

The old main jet was well past it to say the least.

Main jet assembly to carburetter union's washer bodged with PTFE tape ??

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0317

Lots of perished bits of old O ring and sealant muck at the bottom of the carburetter's bowl:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0319

The old O ring was well past it to say the least. It's a good thing that I prevented a fireball:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0320

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0321

Old main jet assembly (the pipe from the carburetter's float bowl was blocked with some of that gasket muck by the looks of it):

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0322

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0323

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0324

Carburetter bowl's main jet union thread cleaned out:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0325-1

New main jet fitted:

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0326-1

It still didn't solve my Rialto 2's stalling/uneven idle speed problems, so I guess the next thing to replace are the perished rubber vaccuum hoses and vacuum pipes (already ordered). Hopefully, after they have been replaced, that will sort that problem once and for all.
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:06 pm

17th September 2011

Inlet, exhaust manifolds, etc. removal and slight cleanup.

Hi everyone,

I've managed to do a bit more work to my Rialto 2 estate today and here's a few pics of what I found.

Inlet manifold removed with bits of the old inlet/exhaust manifold gasket stuck to it:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0089-1

Exhaust manifold with bits of the old inlet/exhaust manifold gasket stuck to it:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0090-1

Exhaust downpipe gasket falling to bits:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0091-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0092-1

Old inlet/exhaust manifold gasket before removal (two of the studs came out of the cylinder head):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0093-1

Inlet manifold after the gasket was scraped off and cleaned up with wire wool:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0094-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0095-1

Exhaust manifold after the gasket was removed and cleaned up slightly with wire wool:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0096-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0097-1

Remains of the old inlet/exhaust manifold gasket. The old exhaust downpipe gasket disintegrated as soon as I tried to remove it:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0098-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0099-1

Cylinder head after the gasket was scraped off and cleaned up with wire wool:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0101-1

Exhaust down pipe after a quick cleanup with wire wool:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0102-1

When I removed the inlet and exhaust manifolds, I found that the nuts were far too loose and I managed to undo them with a spanner. According to the Haynes manual, they should be tightened to between 12 lbft to 15 lbft and requires a crow's foot spanner to tighten them properly. Unfortunately, the set of crow's foot spanners I have currently got are not open ended and I won't be able to tighten the inlet manifold nuts properly. Fortunately, I found a 1/2" AF open ended crow's foot spanner (at nearly £30 !), which should be able do the job.

I also found out that one of the exhaust manifold to down pipe studs was far too long (it's 1 3/4" in length) and made removal of the exhaust difficult (it took me about 1/2 hour to remove it from the exhaust manifold). Fortunately, I managed to find a shorter 36mm (approx 1 1/2") long 5/16" AF stud on eBay and hopefully that will make the exhaust easier to refit once I have refitted the exhaust and inlet manifolds.
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 pm

30th September 2011

A bit more progress...

Hi everyone,

I've made a bit more progress on my Rialto 2 today (well it's actually try and put it back together as quickly as possible), which was to put the exhaust system back together. Sadly, I had no time to do any porting on the inlet nor exhaust manifolds.

Anyway, here are some pics:-

Inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets that Madblokey dropped off for me today Smile Thank you for that, Si Smile I just don't know where the gaskets from Dan are (I think they must be lost in the post).

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0103-1

Gasket fitted to cylinder head:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0104-1

Exhaust manifold refitted to the cylinder head (nuts tightened correctly to 15 lbft):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0105

Inlet manifold being refitted (nuts tightened to 15 lbft):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0106-1

Using my 1/2" crow's foot spanner to tighten the top two inlet manifold nuts to 15lbft:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0107-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0108-1

Exhaust down pipe gasket I got from ebay (Partsworld one on the left, decent quality one on the right):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0109-1

The fairly rubbish Partsworld gasket. I soon saw why Dan advised me not to bother fitting the Partsworld gaskets:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0110-1

Exhaust downpipe refitted:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0111-1
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:16 pm

1st October 2011

A bit more progress yesterday morning....

Carburetter heater block gaskets (NOS from Dan) and drip tray fitted:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0112-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0113-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0114-1

Carburetter refitted:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0115-1
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:19 pm

1st October 2011

Finally got my Rialto 2 back together today...

I've now got my Rialto 2 up and running. I initially had cold start problems until I discovered (thank you Dan for the advice via Facebook) that the fast idle speed screw's gap was too wide. Anyway, here are a few pics:-

NOS air filter (from Dan) fitted:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0116-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0117

Tatty car mats replaced with NOS Reliant car mats (from Dan):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0118-1

Tatty bungee cord removed and NOS wheel strap fitted (from Dan):-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0119-1

The only thing left to do on it now (apart from changing the Halfords 20W50 Classic Oil to Morris 20W50) is to replace the rear windows, which may happen next weekend (or when I can get someone to catch the glass windows just in case).
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

8th October 2011

No more perspex windows Very Happy

Hi everyone,

I have managed (with my dad's help) to change the rear perspex windows today, which were long overdue. The window rubbers that were on the car were starting to get old as well.

Passenger's rear window removed:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0122-1

Driver's rear window removed:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0123-1

Perspex windows that were fitted to the car:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0124-1

The driver's side old rear window rubber looks useable. However, the passenger's side old rear window rubber was knackered:-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0125-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0126-1

Rear glass windows fitted, NOS rear window rubbers used (no longer available) and windows cleaned up Very Happy :-

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0127-1

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 IMG_0128-1

The next few jobs to do are the following:-

- Replace the gearbox rear oil seal.

- Replace all eight propshaft nuts and bolts for brand new nylock nuts and bolts (from Sparesman). The front end of the propshaft's nuts and bolts decided to undo themselves on Wednesday night.

- Renew both doors' plastic membranes with plastic industrial sheet.
Back to top Go down
phade

phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Post from sparesman2000 8th October 2011

looking very good indeed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Reliant Central  :: Reliant 3-wheeler-
Jump to: