Reliant Central
Please Log in to continue

The forum for owners and lovers of all things Reliant

HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Post by pop-rivet 20th May 2012

Yup Insulator gasket sorted mine out few yrs back
I hope your rad cap had a brass rivet and not the cost saving metal (steel) one mine had..Gone Stainless now

1985 Reliant Rialto 2 Estate - Blap
1989 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch - "the oily one" (as str8lolly calls it)
1988 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch - Duck

Non-Reliants:-
----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
1982 VW Type 2 T3 Camping
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

20th May 2012

I have just found another possible reason for the hot starting/occasional coolant loss problem - a leaking carburetter heater block core plug.

Thankfully, I seem to have spotted this in time otherwise it may have ended up costing me an engine.
Does anyone know what size that core plug is so that I can replace it ? Thank you everyone in advance.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts by others 20th May 2012

kevhallett

phade wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not the usual hot starting symptoms (eg. foot flat to the floor, it starts then have to wait for several seconds for the car to idle properly). It takes me several attempts to start the engine (the inertia starter motor will not let me continuously crank the engine), it eventually starts, runs horribly with a puff of smoke and then eventually tries to run properly.
One thing I have not done yet is a compression test. The later spring type valve stem seals looked ok as I could not see anything obvious. The springs appear to be holding the valve stem seals in place (eg. they are where they should be). Hopefully, I won't have to replace them (I replaced the valve stem seals on my Rialto SE some time ago) as it took me about 2 days to replace them on my Rialto SE.
Apart from that I am almost running out of ideas as my Rialto SE does not have those symptoms.

The starter turns the engine until it has reached compression, then throws it out, from what you are describing is, the bore is filling with petrol and you are getting a weak spark, when hot.

I bet the engine cranks over for a bit, then goes Whirr, then each turn (for about the next 4 times) it just goes Whirr, this is just giving the engine a nudge until all 4 exhaust valves have opened, then the car will crank continuously again, until compression has built up, and the same again.

Poor spark when hot points to a faulty condensor.

The Smoke and bad running when eventually started is due to excess fuel in the cylinder.

jessejazza

phade wrote:
I have just found another possible reason for the hot starting/occasional coolant loss problem - a leaking carburetter heater block core plug.

Thankfully, I seem to have spotted this in time otherwise it may have ended up costing me an engine.
Does anyone know what size that core plug is so that I can replace it ? Thank you everyone in advance.

How? The leak could get worse but you'd probably notice before losing serious amounts of water.
I've been running my car without the adaptor plumbed in and can't say it adds much tbh. I put a bit of hose with a bolt in it to blank off at the water pump. It's purpose i presume is to provide some heat in winter to aid warming up.
Having read this thread through i'm interested that some folk claim the adaptor needs a thick gasket to insulate against heat... when you've got heat from the water in the adaptor. I haven't got a heater matrix fitted at present and haven't missed it... enough heat comes in from the engine bay. Of the three cars i've had [Rialto saloon, Rebel, Rialto hatch] i've never had any starting problems or running in winter conditions.
I've got an NOS adaptor if you want one.

terribleone

I thought the heated plenum was to aid vaporization of the larger droplets of fuel that the su delivers through its simple/archaic design.

jessejazza

If that's the case why do not all SU carbs on classics have the heated plenum? If it's to aid vapourisation then the best solution is to fit gauzes. They're a damn fiddle to make well but they certainly do work... the choke just becomes redundant even from cold.
Use a vacuum gauge to compare... probably only get 1/4 ins difference but that's enough proof.
To me the adaptor was fitted to get the angle right for the SU and the water flow looked neater than sticking in a T-piece depending how it was arranged. I connected mine up again as i've got a header tank [instead of expansion tank] and no heater matrix so it gives a little more room for expansion and by chance provided the right height for the header tank exit to go into.
simple/archaic design i don't know that'sbeing quite fair. Constant depression was a very good design... Stromberg CD being better in my view.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 pm

26th May 2012

Work I did to my Rialto 2 today...

Replacing the carburetter throttle spindle and throttle butterfly. Old throttle spindle and throttle butterfly, which has at least 1mm side to side play within them:-

Carburetter damper piston and main jet needle removed:-

The old needle was the correct AEB needle, but it was also worn:-

Main jet needle from Burlen Fuel Systems:-

New and old main jet needles side by side. The old worn out main jet needle is on the left in the pics:-

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm

26th May 2012

New throttle spindle and butterfly from Burlen Fuel Systems:-

Old and new throttle spindle and butterflies side by side:-

New throttle spindle and butterfly fitted to the carburetter:-

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:55 pm

26th May 2012

I also tried to fit Reliant's heater block insulator kit then realised that I could not refit the carburetter with it's nuts and lock washers as the studs were too short and I could not undo them.

I decided to refit the carburetter without the insulator kit using it's old carburetter base gasket as it did not appear to be damaged:-

Old carburetter heater block core plug removed. There was practically no coolant within the heater block:-

Old core plug removed:-

New core plug fitted:-

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

26th May 2012

Finally, I replaced the condenser (I remembered that it was a QH XCON85 condenser, not an Intermotor one as previously thought). The old QH condenser had started to fall to bits inside (I felt something loose inside the capacitor's can as soon as I moved the orange lead). I decided to replaced it with a Lucas condenser instead.
I then started the car and it's hot starting problems have almost disappeared. I plan to drive it later on to see if my Rialto 2 will run properly and it if does, then I'll be taking it to the National Rally.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Post by Daniel Rodd 26th May 2012

that sounds like a result,its easy to mistake hot starting problems as being fuel evaporation,could easily be the condensor,let us know what happens

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm

26th May 2012

Will do when I drive it tomorrow (Nicky has blocked my Rialto 2 in and she's asleep at the moment).
I'll prise off the rubber cable grommet from the old QH condenser to see what actually happened.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

26th May 2012

I have just taken the old QH condenser apart and it seems not to be held together by anything !!

It consists of a copper contact, where a polyester roll rests onto it (rattling loosely inside the capacitor can) and the other end of the polyester roll rests against the base of the capacitor's can. I was surprised that it worked at all, let alone lasted 9,000 miles !

I plan to try and get some old russian (military spec) PIO capacitors (as JPB suggested some time ago, I can't remember which thread) and fit one of those inside the condenser's old capacitor can.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm

27th May 2012

Update:-

Hi everyone, I drove my Rialto 2 today and it definitely runs a lot better than it was recently. It even pulls away nicely, which it never really did before.
However, having said that, it has still got the normal hot start problem (eg. it will start and run on it's 3rd attempt) but at least it doesn't produce any smoke. It pretty much runs like my Rialto SE, albeit a very slight hunting problem at idle.
Dan, have you got any of those thick carburetter base gaskets left ? If you do, could you take a few of them to the National, please ?,

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle

Last edited by phade on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Post by others 27th May 2012

Daniel Rodd

i will have a look,pretty sure i have

billk

Good work there Phil. Tatty's carb would probably benefit from a rebuild so it was handy to see the part numbers there!

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm

27th May 2012

You can also easily find the part numbers by using Burlen Fuel System's (www.sucarb.co.uk) drop down menu on their main web page.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Posts by others 27th May 2012

Tickersoid

It's mildly frustrating to make a change and not be able to check out the results straight away.
I've no idea what causes hunting.

Daniel Rodd

air leaks normally

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

27th May 2012

Or in my case (for the time being) possibly caused by using the carburetter and heater block base gaskets more than once.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

jessejazza

phade wrote:

using the carburetter and heater block base gaskets more than once.

Be grateful if you could explain the benefit of the thicker heater block gaskets. If it's to stop heat passing to the carb why bother with plumbing in the heater block/adaptor. If the purpose of the heater is to help atomise the fuel [which i think someone said once] why then put the thicker insulating gasket in defeating the intended purpose.

Loads of cars don't have a carb heater and most engine bays provide enough heat to aid fuel atomisation i'd have thought. I'm running my Rialto without one but that because i put a new headgasket on and so i've got to remove the carb to retorque. I find getting hose off the nozzles a pain often necessary to cut the hose with a stanley as the 'shoulder' is a bit large.

Daniel Rodd

the water also helps dissapate heat as well as aid warm up in cold weather,so ive read in a reliant service bulletin i have somwhere.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

27th May 2012

The heater block does seem logical during cold weather to prevent carburetter icing.
Having said that, I did measure the carburetter's outer body temperature (after I had just switched off the engine), which was 71˚C. That seems to be a bit hot (I don't know how hot they should normally be after it has just been driven).
In my Rialto SE's case, I had to remove the grommet next to the battery to prevent it's carburetter suffering from vapour lock. That's one thing my Rialto 2 does not suffer from and it has got it's original grommet next to the battery.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:10 pm

terribleone

After further investigation into the heated manifold debate I read on a mini forum.
The water heated manifold was introduced to help atomization of the fuel. Which in turn helps combustion efficiency, which will reduce emissions. A mixture that has been turned into a gas is easier to burn/ignite than one that still has large fuel droplets in it.
So if your a tree hugger or run a kitten its worth while keeping as it will reduce emissions.
Personally mines getting decommissioned in favour of more power.

jessejazza

I don't disagree with what you've said. But the point i was trying to get across was that the adaptor gets pretty hot from the heat of the engine bay perhaps equal to that of the water in the adaptor so why bother.

Carb icing rarely takes place and normally only when first started. Once the engine bay is warm then no problem.

I don't follow the idea of decommissioning in favour of more power. Surely you just tune for power rather than economy.

Posts by others 28th May 2012

terribleone

Ive never really given the heated plenum a second thought till now, but as you rightly say it gets plenty hot enough with out being plumbed in.
As for more power, the colder/denser the air going in the better.
I always notice a drop in power as the summer heat starts to kick in compared to the cooler months.
And with out the need for the water jacket I can open up the heated plenum as straight (no more dog leg) and as wide as possible.

IndianRob

phade wrote:

I also tried to fit Reliant's heater block insulator kit then realised that I could not refit the carburetter with it's nuts and lock washers as the studs were too short and I could not undo them.

Do any of the part suppliers on the list sell the longer studs for adding the 1/4" insulating spacer? Or are these standard spec studs? Also, is the carb heater block core plug the same size as the head core plug?

Lastly - when replacing the (pre-engaged) starter do y'all prefer a rebuilt Lucas starter or one of the modern aftermarket starters? Is there a preferred source for the rebuilt units?
Thanks.
(My Rialto is about to board the ship for its trip to the "colonies"!)
I'm not contributing much to the discussions on the list (sorry) but I spend many enjoyable hours reading all of the old and new discussions. Thanks!

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Posts by others 28th May 2012

terribleone

[QUOTE="IndianRob]
Do any of the part suppliers on the list sell the longer studs for adding the 1/4" insulating spacer? Or are these standard spec studs? Also, is the carb heater block core plug the same size as the head core plug?[/QUOTE]

2 of part number 31952 longer stud:3/8"uncx3/8"unfx1.11/16"long from sparesman or other reputable reliant dealers.

wheaters

terribleone wrote:

And with out the need for the water jacket I can open up the heated plenum as straight (no more dog leg) and as wide as possible.

You can open it pretty wide and retain the water jacket. Here's the one I opened out and fitted to my engine, compared to a normal one:

terribleone

The 1 i have on the car at the moment i opened up to match the bore of the carb but its no where near as big as that lol.
Some how I had visions of it dog legging the other way when I posted last night, but it was getting late.
Im thinking about routing the plenum in with the heater box so i can turn it off in the summer and still have the ability to heat it in winter.
I would presume it would need the carb resetting between with and without heat.
But I am still interested in seeing how hot it gets with out the water aid.
I think we best give phade his thread back now lol.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 pm

30th May 2012 - Link no longer works Sad

Another update (I knew it may have been too good to be true !):-

I had quickly started up my Rialto 2 this morning (to see if I had set the choke properly), but it decided not to run properly.
It would idle fine but would misfire like hell as soon as I try to rev it up.

I bought a Bosch (part number 0 221 119 027) blue 12V coil earlier today (thank you Fifer for posting the info from this thread http://www.zen13.com/index.php?threa...-2#post-419826) and a new Intermotor condenser. I'll be fitting those and bypassing the resistive wire later tonight/early tomorrow morning to see if my car will run properly again.

If I cannot get it to run properly tomorrow then I may end up taking my Rialto SE or my red VW 1600i Beetle to the National. To be honest, I would rather drive one of my Rialtos to the national.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 pm

31st May 2012

Another update...

Hi everyone, I managed to swap out the ignition coil and ran in a new wire for the +12V coil feed today (I will change the condenser tomorrow morning as I ran out of light).

Old ignition coil:-

Old and new ignition coil side by side:-

New Bosch blue ignition coil installed in the car (this morning):-

I then ran a new white wire (just over an hour ago) for the +12V ignition coil feed. Whilst I was running the new wire towards the ignition switch, I then found out that the original ignition coil feed was fed from the accessories part of the ignition switch !! I quickly corrected this and wired the new ignition coil/starter motor solenoid wire to the ignition part of the ignition switch.

After I had installed the new wire, I tried starting the car just to see if the coil works. The coil its self works, but the car still misfires like hell when it's revved up, so it looks like that I will be replacing the condenser first thing tomorrow morning.

If I cannot get my Rialto 2 fixed in time, then I may take my Rialto SE to the National instead.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

9th June 2012

A slight update on my Rialto 2 today:-

Hi everyone, a slight update on my Rialto 2. I decided to replace the carburetter for a rebuilt one I had bought from wheaters last year and fitted a Velleman ignition amplifier that I bought from Simon at the National Rally (I also had to deal with the passenger's window that decided to pop off it's window lifter).

Anyway, I'll let the pics do the talking....

NOS throttle cable and old throttle cable side by side (I decided to fit the NOS one as it fits properly):-

Rebuilt carburetter (that I bought from wheaters last year) along with a new choke cable trunion from Minispares) fitted:-

I also decided to refit my Rialto 2's original choke cable inner (solid cable) to the newer outer choke cable that is fitted to the car.

I then decided to fit a Velleman ignition amplifier kit (I bought one that Simon - Madblokey had built in a project box at the National Rally) as I am getting fed up with condensers being consumed like sweeties !!! The last one lasted about 300 miles and the previous one had only last about 10 miles !! I tried to install the Velleman kit as far away from heat as possible (secured by industrial strength velcro) within the engine bay (next to the washer bottle and heater) as I could not find any room behind the dashboard:-

I just hope that the Velleman kit's wiring won't chaffe against the solenoid. I think it should be ok as it has got heatshrink (acting as a tough outer jacket) over the wires.

I then managed to get my Rialto 2 to run properly again after setting up the rebuilt carburetter (I set it's mixture screw to about 23 turns out). I used Azzy's trick of tuning carburetters (eg. putting my hand over the airbox to ensure that it takes a while before the car tries to stall and setting the mixture screw to where the engine will run best) and it seems to work quite well.

Hopefully, I will soon know what it's like under load tomorrow/soon.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Post by kevhallet 9th June 2012

Looks like a tidy bit of kit, I have a Boyer Bransden in my Rialto, brilliant bit of kit.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Post by jessejazza 9th June 2012

phade wrote:

I then decided to fit a Velleman ignition amplifier kit (I bought one that Simon - Madblokey had built in a project box at the National Rally) as I am getting fed up with condensers being consumed like sweeties !!! The last one lasted about 300 miles and the previous one had only last about 10 miles !! I tried to install the Velleman kit as far away from heat as possible (secured by industrial strength velcro) within the engine bay (next to the washer bottle and heater) as I could not find any room behind the dashboard:-

That looks like a very neat box to enclose it... not by any chance the Maplin N73BQ 100 x 50 x 21
Wonder who recommended that.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phade

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 pm

10th June 2012

Hi everyone,
I managed to give my Rialto 2 a quick (about a mile) drive this morning, but it still doesn't run properly (I'm trying not to lose the plot with it) and it was a pain to start from cold. I'll be replacing it's points and distributor cap later on to see if that will make any difference (I hope it will be just that) as there are not a lot of parts of the ignition system to replace.
One thing I did notice yesterday is that there seems to be a fair amount of condensation ("mayo" coming from the oil cap). The engine oil itself is clear, but I hope that won't be the early warning signs that the head gasket may need to be replaced.

----------------

1973 VW 1300 Beetle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.   

Back to top Go down

1985 Lap Rialto 2 (hopefully a more concise version of it) - this may take me time to update it.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next