The forum for owners and lovers of all things Reliant

HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Todays work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kevhallett

PostSubject: Todays work.   Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 am

Today I've rewired my offside tail lamp, and Tuned my engine, as the car got knocked a little out of tune, when the gearbox was changed at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CRASH TEST DUMMY

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

I started mine today. Thought I better as I've not driven it for a while, as I've been cycling every where....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMAM

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 am

kevhallett wrote:
Today I've rewired my offside tail lamp, and Tuned my engine, as the car got knocked a little out of tune, when the gearbox was changed at the weekend.

changed your dizzy yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RayMK

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:52 am

I still have not booked my MKVI for its MOT, partly because there's no rush, and partly because I was not completely happy with the brakes.  Today I had the rear drums off to inspect the brake shoes and cylinders.  Offside was fine, clean and dry, piston free and adjustment spot-on.  Nearside was not.  The linings were a dark wet colour and there appeared to have been some slight leakage of hydraulic fluid from the cylinder. I lightly toasted the linings on the gas hob to dry them out. I had a spare cylinder assembly and prepared to fit it, but could not undo the hydraulic line from the old one despite soaking it in plusgas after wire brushing exposed thread.  Plan B was more messy. I extracted the slightly grotty piston, then used fine grade wet and dry to return the cylinder bore to a nice smooth finish. After wiping it clean, the new piston and seal from my spare was inserted using brake fluid to lubricate it. A thorough bleeding/flushing completed the job. The brakes work, but I'm going to have to inspect the front one to ensure that the system is as good as it can be.  Perhaps I've been spoilt by servo brakes - or I have become weaker in the 2 years the car has been sitting idle.  One surprise about this flurry of activity - the ancient unleaded has not caused ANY problems starting or running the car.  I have started it about 6 times in the last few days, and driven it in our close to check various bits.  It seems to like running on brown soup Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regal_fan

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:46 am

Had the head off my mk2 today to discover a large chunk missing from one of the cylinder walls. Strange as it wasnt down on compression but goes a long way towards explaining the excessive crank case breathing and the smokey exhaust. The hunt is on for a replacement block...
I would post a photo of offending cylinder but I cant seem to get the image hosting thingy to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am

regal_fan wrote:
Had the head off my mk2 today to discover a large chunk missing from one of the cylinder walls. Strange as it wasnt down on compression but goes a long way towards explaining the excessive crank case breathing and the smokey exhaust. The hunt is on for a replacement block...
I would post a photo of offending cylinder but I cant seem to get the image hosting thingy to work.

Try using photo bucket then copying the url into the "insert image" button where it says url
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reliant.forumotion.co.uk
regal_fan

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:01 am

" />
" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kevhallett

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:51 am

AMAM wrote:
kevhallett wrote:

changed your dizzy yet?

Nope, just blanked off the vac advance pipe and adjusted timing to compensate. Got to save pennies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kevhallett

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 am

Yesterday fitted a new pair of Horns to Regal, somehow managed to put my back out as a result! Today my Dad kindly fitted my new fanbelt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RayMK

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Drove my 1961 Regal MKVI for its MOT at 1000hrs. I was concerned that it might have a hiccup or two after being on SORN for over two years, despite checking everything several times. I need not have worried. Not only did it pass with no advisories Smile  Smile , but it drove beautifully on its ancient unleaded (admittedly only 4 miles each way). Now need to get a new free tax disc and some fresh fuel, then go for a potter round the lanes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:52 am

Well done on passing the MOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reliant.forumotion.co.uk
RayMK

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 pm

The MKVI is continuing to run nicely after its recent MOT, which followed a holiday on SORN since May 2012. The longest run so far has been 62 miles and the shortest about 6, the latter because the LT spade terminal on the side of the distributor snapped through fatigue and required a diagnosis and temporary repair in a layby. It took me about 20 minutes to find the problem because an insulating sleeve held the wire in position. Fortunately I had enough momentum after the engine cut to reach the layby Smile .  Since then, a couple more runs around local lanes have given me confidence that the car is healthy. It will still cruise at 50 to 55mph, but it is a more pleasant experience at around 40mph on backroads. Steep hills are no problem, although moving off in 1st gear causes quite violent juddering if much throttle is used.  2nd gear starts are smooth, can be used most of the time, and with such a light car this does not require significant clutch slip. The engine tie bar appears to be tight and the engine mountings look fine.  Perhaps stiffer mountings would help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todays work.   

Back to top Go down

Todays work.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1